Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Date: 2001-12-18 22:24:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
mlw writes:

> If a user has used the "-C" option, as in:
>
> postmaster -C /etc/pgsql/mydb.conf
>
> Should I then, and first, see if there is a "/etc/pgsql/pg_hba.conf" or
> "/etc/pgsql/pg_ident.conf" and use it as an explicit path?

> How about:
>
> postmaster -C /etc/pgsql
>
> Should I then look for:
>
> /etc/pgsql/postgresql.conf
> /etc/pgsql/pg_hba.conf
> /etc/pgsql/pg_ident.conf

I like the latter better because of the symmetry of -C with -D.

Btw., the following issues still need to be addressed:

- Location of SSL certificate files (Are they appropriate for /etc?  What
  does Apache do?)

- Location of secondary password files.  By default they should probably
  track pg_hba.conf.  Is that enough?

- Location of charset.conf and the associated recode tables

For a start, putting all of these under -C is probably sufficient.  More
complicated setups can be achieved using symlinks. ;-)