Re: Mirror databases

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Leandro Fanzone <leandro(at)hasar(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mirror databases
Date: 2001-12-06 21:53:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Leandro Fanzone wrote:

> I have a collection of databases that are meant to be equal in an array
> of PCs. Specifically, it is about POS stations: each POS has exactly the
> same tables of articles, cashiers, etc. They are meant to work in a
> standalone fashion, so I can't afford the idea of all clients and one
> server, and each one has to be client and server at the same time. If
> the network has problems, the whole supermarket must operate in spite of
> that.
> So, if I have one PC that I will call "master", is there any native
> mechanism in Postgre to duplicate automagically those tables to the rest
> of the "slaves"? If I need to update them all, it would be enough to
> update this master and tell the rest to "copy" the database from that
> one. I wouldn't need to worry about the state of each box, and assume
> that Postgre does it all for me, knowing what it needs to update in each
> case.

You are doing what is known as 'replication'.  This is, according to the
PostgreSQL website, something that is still under development.  However,
you should take a look at this page:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly,
since it has no ears.
		-- Marcus Porcius Cato