Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support
Date: 2001-11-15 16:16:29
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bill Studenmund writes:

> There is another test we can do. There is a variable which contains the
> Heimdal version number, '__heimdal_version'. If that symbol is present,
> then we have Heimdal, and if it's not, we have MIT.

We're not interested in whether it's Heimdal or MIT, we're only interested
in whether that certain struct member is present and the set of libraries
needed to get at the functions we want. The latter can be done with
AC_SEARCH_LIBS, and if you look into krb5 first you might get all those
other libraries for free depending on the platform. Checking for struct
members can be done with a compilation test in the style of
config/c-library.m4. (Basically, you just check if the code you want to
use compiles. That's always a good start for a configure check, lacking
other ideas.)

I don't know if you want to sell this as a bug fix for 7.2. If you are
then I can work out a "good" patch for this in the next two days for you
to test.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net