Re: JDBC inserts on views using rules

From: Stuart Robinson <stuart(at)zapata(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC inserts on views using rules
Date: 2001-11-12 05:59:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I found a workaround for my problem (a rule for inserts on views that call
functions instead of doing the insert), but it's really just a hack. I'm
hoping that someone knows of a better way to do this. The solution is as
follows: my insert-on-a-view rule takes the return value of the function
that it calls and sticks the value into a dummy column of a dummy table I
created. So, instead of:

CREATE RULE ex_view_insert AS
ON INSERT TO ex_view
DO INSTEAD
select ex_function(new.url, new.name)

I'm now doing this:

CREATE RULE ex_view_insert AS
ON INSERT TO ex_view
DO INSTEAD
update dummy_table set dummy_column = (select ex_function(new.url,
new.name));

Now the JDBC no longer gets a return value when it expects none and
doesn't throw any exceptions. So, it works, but it's ugly. Surely someone
has come across this sort of problem and has a better solution... If so,
I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

-Stuart