Re: Connect to pg via tcpip

From: Joel Burton <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: Stephane Pinel <spinel(at)noos(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connect to pg via tcpip
Date: 2001-10-19 20:46:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Stephane Pinel wrote:

> I need to connect to a pgsql database from a remote place. I read the manual
> and made all the changes in pg_hba.conf etc... But it don't runs.
> Maybe someone could explain to me all the steps I have to complete ?

It's helpful to post error messages you receive rather than simply saying
it doesn't run.

The most likely problem is that you're not running the postmaster or
pg_ctl program w/TCP connections enabled. As a security precaution,
disabled by default.

(a) add -o "-i" to your postmaster or pg_ctl command (for occasional TCP
use depending on startup)

(b) edit postgresql.conf to set tcpip_socket = true

Joel BURTON  |  joel(at)joelburton(dot)com  |  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant