Re: psql: default base and password reading

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Adam Osuchowski <adwol(at)polsl(dot)gliwice(dot)pl>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: default base and password reading
Date: 2001-10-14 20:50:21
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Have you seen my later version that reads from stdin/stderr if /dev/tty
> doesn't open. How is that?

Might as well use getpass() if available. My man page says "A getpass
function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX.", so it should be available on
most systems.

However, I'm afraid many users have set up their systems to read the
password from stdin, so that should probably stay the default unless we
take a user poll.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter