Re: Showing index details with \d on psql

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Showing index details with \d on psql
Date: 2001-10-14 20:51:16
Lists: pgsql-patches
Greg Sabino Mullane writes:

> > I don't like the '*' things.  They look ugly and convey little
> > real information.
>
> They convey "this column is indexed" and also indicate in how many
> indexes it appears.

I understood that, but a new user would not without a footnote.  And
obviously, '*' is just an arbitrary character -- what would we use next to
say "this column is part of a table constraint"?  I think this part is
very useful as it stands:

> Indexes: abc (post, reply, stat)
>          def (stat)
>          foo_pkey (primary key) (thread)

Hmm, shouldn't that be "foo_pkey(thread) (primary key)".  I understand
what you meant about the brackets, but brackets aren't typically used in
writing and look artificial.  Maybe something like

    foo_pkey (thread) -- primary key

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter