Re: EXTRACT broken

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXTRACT broken
Date: 2001-10-13 19:26:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> > I had figured that time would be cast to timestamp.
>
> How would you do that? With no date available, you're short all the
> high-order bits ...

For the purpose of extracting the fields that time does provide, namely
hour, minute, and second, it wouldn't matter. At least it gives me a much
better feeling than casting to interval, which is a completely different
kind of quantity.

Of course, a separate date_part for time and date would make the most
sense.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter