Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/installation.sgml oc/src/sg ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/installation.sgml oc/src/sg ...
Date: 2001-10-13 18:16:14
Lists: pgsql-committers

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> ODBC is a standard, but not the standard targeted by our implementation
> of SQL in the backend, and does not *require* direct support for all
> features in the backend.

The backend supports all kinds of things. We have redundant compatibility
syntax for Oracle, MS-SQL, we even broke backward compatibility to support
MySQL, and we have confused users for years with MS Access compatibility.
None of these are standards.

Meanwhile, this new syntax is a tiny change, completely compatible, and
actually makes more sense rather than less from an overall consistency
point of view. (If the change were allowing leaving off the parentheses
things would have been completely different.)

> I'd like to see it implemented as part of the original
> CURRENT_TIME(arg) definition, not as a completely separate rule (or
> did you get shift/reduce conflicts trying it that way?).

This way it was the least amount of change and the rules could be reused
for session_user and such.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter