Re: More fixes for missing double quotes in the shell

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Justin <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More fixes for missing double quotes in the shell
Date: 2001-09-29 22:53:54
Lists: pgsql-patches
Justin writes:

> I agree it's not strictly necessary, but I thought I'd add them in to
> follow the generic "good programming practise" of always quoting
> variables in shell script tests.

In my purely personal opinion it's better to be aware of the possible
values of a variable than to blindly quote everything.  Somewhere you're
going to run into nested quote situations which cannot be done portably,
at which point you have to start doing that anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter