Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: John Summerfield <summer(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version
Date: 2001-09-11 00:25:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

John Summerfield writes:

> I'd point out this from the INSTALL document:
> --prefix=PREFIX
>
> Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of
> /usr/local/pgsql. The actual files will be installed into various
> subdirectories; no files will ever be installed directly into the
> PREFIX directory.
>
> If you have special needs, you can also customize the individual
> subdirectories with the following options.

But there are also exceptions listed at --with-perl and --with-python.

> This is entirely consistent with the way other software that uses the
> same configuration procedure.

I am not aware of a package that installs general-purpose Perl/Python
modules as well as items from outside of those environments.

> I contend that if a user wants different behaviour the onus is on the
> user to specify that.

You're probably right, but I suspect that the majority of users rightly
expect the Perl module to go where Perl modules usually go. This wouldn't
be such an interesting question if Perl provided a way to add to the
module search path (cf. LD_LIBRARY_PATH and such), but to my knowledge
there isn't a generally accepted one, so this issue would introduce an
annoyance for users.

Surely the current behaviour is an annoyance too, making the whole issue a
rather unpleasant subject. ;-)

Well, as soon as I come up with a name for the install-where-I-tell-you-to
option, I'll implement it.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter