Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <seva(at)sevasoft(dot)kiev(dot)ua>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal
Date: 2001-09-04 10:19:20
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > > But if the config switch was removed, Tcls prior 8.1 would not be
> > > supported at all, no?
> >
> > No, Peter wasn't proposing removing #if's from the code. His thought
> > is that the #if's should be conditional only on Tcl version --- if you
> > have a Tcl version that does UTF, then you get the translation code.
>
> Oh, I see.

The important thing here is not "does UTF", but "requires UTF". Without
this patch enabled in Tcl >=8.1 you would fly along at 7 bits, which is
rather unusable for almost anyone. If there are really serious
performance problems I could see a switch to turn it off. But we're
already hearing every week about people with character set problems with
the JDBC driver, so we shouldn't lay more traps like that while knowing
better.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter