Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Vsevolod Lobko <seva(at)sevasoft(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal support
Date: 2001-08-23 19:07:46
Lists: pgsql-patches
Vsevolod Lobko writes:

> > Is there a way to make this automatically enabled based on the TCL
> > version?  Does that make sense?
>
> This adds significant overhead to pl/tcl calls :((
> so I'm not sure that anybody want this functionality enabled by default

It is my understanding that Tcl 8.3 will not work with 8 bit characters
without this functionality.  That would simply be unacceptable.  If users
want better performance they should use a different Tcl version, but we
should not override Tcl's design decisions unilaterally.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter