Re: A couple items on TODO

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-hackers(at)dynworks(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A couple items on TODO
Date: 2001-08-23 19:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> AFAIR, elog at NOTICE or DEBUG level isn't really supposed to have any
> side-effects.  The bigger issue is that you have to be careful about
> using it in certain places, mainly during startup or for reporting
> communication errors.  (send failure -> elog -> tries to send message to
> client -> send failure -> elog -> trouble)

It's especially postmaster.c and the related subroutines elsewhere that
I'm not happy about.  The postmaster would really need a way to report an
error to the log and continue in its merry ways.  This could probably be
encapsulated in elog() by setting a flag variable "I'm the postmaster" --
might even exit already.  Note:  In my experience, the previous suggestion
to return to the postmaster main loop on error would not really be useful.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter