Assessment on namespace clean include file names

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Assessment on namespace clean include file names
Date: 2001-08-22 22:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Here is what we install by default and what we could do about it:

c.h			[1]
config.h		rename to pg_config.h
ecpgerrno.h		ok
ecpglib.h		ok
ecpgtype.h		ok
iodbc/			[3]
  iodbc.h
  isql.h
  isqlext.h
lib/			[1]
  dllist.h
libpgeasy.h		ok
libpgtcl.h		ok
libpq/			[1]
  libpq-fs.h
  pqcomm.h
libpq++/		ok
  pgconnection.h
  pgcursordb.h
  pgdatabase.h
  pglobject.h
  pgtransdb.h
libpq++.h		ok
libpq-fe.h		ok
libpq-int.h		[1]
os.h			rename to pg_config_os.h
postgres_ext.h		ok
postgres_fe.h		[1]
pqexpbuffer.h		[1]
sql3types.h		[2]
sqlca.h			[2]

[1] -- The libpq-int.h draws in a lot of internal structure, true to the
name.  Something should be done about that, such as not installing it, or
moving it to a "hidden" place.  Ideas?

[2] -- The ecpg preprocessor will actually include copies of these into
the output file when seeing the commands 'exec sql include sql3types;'
etc., thus not really making these include files in the traditional sense.
The names are okay for the moment, but I will research this some more.

[3] -- The names clash with the actual iodbc package.  Not sure if this is
intended, but I will evaluate with the odbc group.

The idea I currently have for the installation layout including the server
includes is this:

--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql

libpq-fe.h	=> /usr/local/pgsql/include/libpq-fe.h
access/xlog.h	=> /usr/local/pgsql/include/server/access/xlog.h

--prefix=/usr/local

libpq-fe.h	=> /usr/local/include/libpq-fe.h
access/xlog.h	=> /usr/local/include/postgresql/server/access/xlog.h

pg_config will get an option --server-includedir to point to the files.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Next:From: Peter WileyDate: 2001-08-22 22:33:28