Re: Various doc errors and shortcomings

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Charles Obler <inverse(at)hovac(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Various doc errors and shortcomings
Date: 2001-08-20 15:53:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Charles Obler writes:

> Programmer's Guide, 8.2.3. Connecting to the Database
>
> According to the documentation, the URL includes what is called
> "the database name". I assumed that the fully qualified path

Don't assume. ;-)

> name was intended here, since that is what normally appears in a
> URL. How else does one unambiguously identify a file?

What file?

> One or two examples are needed in this section to make it clear
> that postgresql has its own directory of "registered" databases,
> and the "database name" in question is the name in this
> registry, not the database filename.

Nowhere does it say that databases have file names. Where do you get that
idea?

> Tutorial Chapter 2:

The tutorial is not very well maintained (if at all). Thanks for finding
these problems. (It was once merged from a TeX file, FYI.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter