Re: assorted documentation errors

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: assorted documentation errors
Date: 2001-08-13 16:51:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rich Morin writes:

> I have been looking over the PostgreSQL manual pages and have noted a
> number of formatting problems. Unfortunately, as the DocBook source
> code does not seem to be in the distribution, I have no way of knowing
> where these problems originated. In any case, here is a summary:

You seem to be using the wrong distribution then.

> createdb.1, createlang.1, createuser.1, dropdb.1, droplang.1, etc.
>
> In many places where code and output examples are being given, the
> font used is proportional. If a monospace font were used, the code
> would stand out better and the output would line up correctly.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of at a loss of how to do this sort of thing on
troff. I'm glad I got reasonably looking man (terminal) output; print
output is not really planned. (You can use the provided Postscript
version of the Reference Manual for that.)

You can follow the link at
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/~petere/docbook2man.html and see if you can
fix the code yourself. Look in docbook2man-spec.pl at function
verbatim_start.

> pg_restore.1
>
> In the NAME entry, there is a missing space in "created bypg_dump".

Probably need to hack the spec file even more. There's already a lot of
that just to get the synopsis lines look okay.

> If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:
>
> Edit the original files and/or fix the conversion script.

Generations of programmers have tried that and failed. :-(

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter