Re: assorted documentation errors

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: assorted documentation errors
Date: 2001-08-13 16:51:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Rich Morin writes:

> I have been looking over the PostgreSQL manual pages and have noted a
> number of formatting problems.  Unfortunately, as the DocBook source
> code does not seem to be in the distribution, I have no way of knowing
> where these problems originated.  In any case, here is a summary:

You seem to be using the wrong distribution then.

> createdb.1, createlang.1, createuser.1, dropdb.1, droplang.1, etc.
>    In many places where code and output examples are being given, the
>    font used is proportional.  If a monospace font were used, the code
>    would stand out better and the output would line up correctly.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of at a loss of how to do this sort of thing on
troff.  I'm glad I got reasonably looking man (terminal) output; print
output is not really planned.  (You can use the provided Postscript
version of the Reference Manual for that.)

You can follow the link at and see if you can
fix the code yourself.  Look in at function

> pg_restore.1
>    In the NAME entry, there is a missing space in "created bypg_dump".

Probably need to hack the spec file even more.  There's already a lot of
that just to get the synopsis lines look okay.

> If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:
> Edit the original files and/or fix the conversion script.

Generations of programmers have tried that and failed. :-(