Re: Connection.setCatalog()

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <jason(at)netspade(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection.setCatalog()
Date: 2001-07-17 12:55:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Tom Lane writes:

> Peter E. has previously commented that Postgres databases correspond
> most closely to the SQL concept of "catalog cluster", not "catalog".

I most certainly did not. According to my interpretation:

schema = schema
catalog = database
cluster = thing you get from initdb

This is also how we currently document it and it tends to be the practice
in other products as well.

> This agrees with my reading of SQL92 4.13:
>
> A cluster is an implementation-defined collection of catalogs.
> Exactly one cluster is associated with an SQL-session and it
> defines the totality of the SQL-data that is available to that
> SQL-session.

Yes, the stuff served by a single postmaster is the totality of the
SQL data available to that SQL session. But note:

The method of creation and destruction of
catalogs is implementation-defined. The set of catalogs that
can be referenced in any SQL-statement, during any particular
SQL-transaction, or during the course of an SQL-session is also
implementation-defined.

(just above your stuff)

which serves us just fine.

--