Re: Database Users Management and Privileges

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Francois Leveque <leveque(at)webmails(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Users Management and Privileges
Date: 2001-07-06 15:41:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gunnar Rønning writes:

> Better user management and policy delegations would be important
> postgresql to succeed in enterprise environments.

Keeping compatibility is also important.

> Maybe one should
> start distinguishing logins from users like Sybase does. Logins are global
> to all databases, and you can create a user for a given database and assign
> it to a login.

That doesn't strike me as terribly better.  Operating system
administrators tend to unify user management across the whole network.
You're essentially suggesting making separate users per file system.
Ugh.

> It would also be nice to be able to assign users to
> groups(which in turn define access rights within the database).

That would indeed be nice.  That's why we have already implemented it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter