Re: Configuration of statistical views

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date: 2001-06-29 21:20:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Probably there need to be at least 2 variables: (a) a PGC_POSTMASTER
> variable that controls whether the stats collector is even started,
> and (b) PGC_USERSET variable(s) that enable a particular backend to
> send particular kinds of data to the collector.  Note that, for example,
> backend start/stop events probably need to be reported whenever the
> postmaster variable is set, even if all the USERSET variables are off.

I'm not familiar with the kinds of statistics that are supposed to be
gathered here, but I suppose their usefulness would be greatly increased
if they were gathered across all data/actions, not only the ones that the
users turned them on for.  So I think ordinary users have no business
controlling these settings.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter