Re: Can the backend return more than one error message per PQexec?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can the backend return more than one error message per PQexec?
Date: 2001-06-06 15:00:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> Since there will always be asynchronous conditions to deal with, it'd
> be pretty foolish to design a protocol that assumes that exactly one
> 'E' message will arrive during a PQexec cycle.

Reasonable.

> > I am currently looking into extending the protocol so that more fields can
> > be in an ErrorResponse (e.g., error codes). If this were to happen then
> > we'd need a smarter way of handling more than one error message per cycle.
>
> Only if you want to overload ErrorResponse so that successive 'E'
> messages mean different things. I do not think that would be a good
> design. It'd be better to allow ErrorResponse to carry multiple fields.

That's the idea. But I can hardly concatenate the error codes, can I? I
looks as though we need an API where all the messages (errors + notices)
from each query cycle are collected and can be cycled through after
completion.

> This'd imply a protocol version bump, but so what? Changing the
> semantics of ErrorResponse probably ought to require that anyway.

I think I could have done with a minor bump, but if you have some plans,
too, the easier.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter