Re: 2 problems

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2 problems
Date: 2001-05-29 20:56:55
Lists: pgsql-ports

Scott Ribe writes:

> gzip -d -c postgres.tar.gz | (cd /usr/local/bin/pgsql/doc/html && /usr/
> bin/tar xf -)
> tar: Unable to set file uid/gid of index.html <No such file or directory>
>
> I looked; index.html was there; I ran make install again and it completed.

This looks like a deficiency (bug?) in the local tar program.

> Following the short version of instructions at the top of INSTALL, the
> initdb failed because it didn't have write access in /usr/local/pgsql/. I
> didn't ever notice if the make install gave an error about failing to set
> privileges there, so I don't know the actual sequence.

The database directory location you give to initdb is, in theory,
completely unrelated to the location where the program files are
installed. Therefore, there are no special permissions set up
automatically.

The "Short Version" installation instructions sort of assume that you are
initially a user that can write to the default install location, and later
you change to become the database special user. Well, it is the "Short
Version", after all.

> I had read that 7.1 compiles as distributed on Mac OS X, and found that
> to not be the case--almost, but not quite.

That's what we had people report...

> (In addition to fixing these
> bugs, if they are bugs, it would also be worth linking to a Mac OS X
> specific page for installation--some place that would cover the other
> small differences, make instead of gmake, no adduser command...)

You need to use GNU make. / What do you have instead of adduser?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter