Proceeding with gettext

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proceeding with gettext
Date: 2001-05-29 17:48:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Has it been established to satisfaction that a BSD-licensed gettext
implementation is available and working? (Note that we still need
xgettext and msgmerge from GNU, but this only on the maintainer side.)

Are there any other concerns about the use of the gettext API, the
available implementations, or how this will work together with PostgreSQL?

If Yes and No, respectively, I'd like to put this to use.

Besides the source code changes to mark all translatable strings (which
can be reduced if we make use of short cuts like "all calls to elog() are
candidates"), and eliminate English dependent coding (printf("%d row%s",
n, n!=1?"s":"");), most of this will be makefile work in the style of
Makefile.shlib to take care of building, installing, and maintaining the
message catalogs. Plus a lot of translation work, of course. :-)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter