BSD gettext

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BSD gettext
Date: 2001-05-22 20:34:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

http://www.postgresql.org/~petere/gettext.html

This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL. Give it a try if you're
interested. I've already tried it on FreeBSD, Linux, and Unixware, so
don't bother with those.

I feel that this is ready to go. NetBSD is using it in production as a
GNU gettext replacement, even for large packages. The .mo file format is
pretty simple actually, so if issues came up we could tackle them
ourselves.

As for portability, the fanciest feature it uses is mmap(), but only to
map a real file into memory to read it there. The missing functions
(strlcat, strlcpy, strsep) I've worked around with autoconf, the rest
looks all like basic POSIX stuff.

So I suppose if this looks okay I will start trying to work out how we can
use this for PostgreSQL.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter