Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/uti ...
Date: 2001-05-19 09:02:23
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> 1. createlang should no longer insert libdir or dlsuffix into the
> function declarations it makes (so building createlang from
> createlang.sh won't be necessary anymore).

createlang tries to be helpful by trying test -f $the_file first, to guard
against attempts to load PL/Tcl when no Tcl support was configured. This
approach has a few other subtle flaws: it requires createlang to be run
on the server machine and under the same user account as the server.
Maybe we could devise another way to determine gracefully whether a given
PL is installed.

> 2. Likewise for CREATE FUNCTION commands in regress tests.

The shared objects used in the regression test are not located relative to
the $libdir. Some for the various tutorials, examples.

> 3. CREATE FUNCTION documentation should now recommend using relative
> path and omitting suffix, rather than using full absolute pathname.

Details in the Programmer's Guide now.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter