Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column
Date: 2001-03-28 21:15:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> It seems that in pre-7.0 Postgres, this works:
>
> create table one(id int default 1, descr text);
> create table two(id int default 2, tag text) inherits (one);
>
> with the net effect that table "two" has just one "id" column with
> default value 2.

Although the liberty to do anything you want seems appealing at first, I
would think that allowing this is not correct from an OO point of view.
But given that our inheritance system actually has conceivably little
resemblance to real OO, I don't really care.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/