Re: Tests randomly failed

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Justin Clift <jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tests randomly failed
Date: 2001-03-24 10:30:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Justin Clift writes:

> I don't understand what you mean by "This will avoid using Unix domain
> sockets, which are broken on Solaris.".
>
> If this were the case, then the errors which are described would happen
> on ALL solaris platforms wouldn't they?

I suppose things are a bit more complicated than that.  We once has a
brief suspicion that it could be related to Sun's tmpfs file system that
/tmp often resides on, but I don't think this turned out to be the case.

> And other packages using Unix domain sockets would have problems too
> wouldn't they?

Indeed.  A while ago I looked around and found at least two packages (INN
and Postfix) that had similar-sounding problems.  In fact, one of the two
ended up disabling it with the words "more trouble than it's worth".

You could argue that X and KDE and what else should be broken as well.
This is a good question.  It could perhaps be related to a buffer problem,
under the assumption that X usually passes small amounts of data through
the pipe, whereas PostgreSQL can pass megabytes in a very short time.
(Don't know what INN and Postfix would want to do with a local socket.)

The bottom line here is that the switch from local sockets to TCP/IP
invariably fixes the identical failure pattern.  Make of that what you
will.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/