Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ /aclocal.m4 /build.xml /configure /conf ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Peter Mount <peter(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ /aclocal.m4 /build.xml /configure /conf ...
Date: 2001-03-06 20:23:25
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-jdbc

Peter T Mount writes:

> > Since the Java files are platform independent, the GNU file system
> > standard would prefer Java files to be installed under
> > $(prefix)/share/.
>
> That is true, but which vars (in configure/Makefile.global etc) define this?

$(datadir)

> Also what about the platforms that don't use the GNU FSS?

They use configure options to override the locations. In practice, no
system uses the GNU FSS (except the HURD maybe), but the idea is that all
locations are configurable in some sort of orthogonal way.

> > If we stick with lib/, we should probably be creating a lib/postgresql
> > subdirectory, like we do in the other subtrees.
>
> Ah, you are getting confused. The java directory is beneath the one install
> makes for postgresql already, not along side, so for example (based on my
> laptop NT/Cygwin):
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib where PGLIB is
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/java where the .jars are put.

Right. But if --prefix=/usr/local (for example), then we have

/usr/local/lib/libpq.a
/usr/local/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h
/usr/local/share/postgresql/*.bki

This happens automatically if the prefix does not match 'pgsql|postgres'.
What I would like in that case is

/usr/local/lib/libpq.a (to keep linker happy)
/usr/local/lib/postgresql/java/*.jar (because we are not entitled to
create a directory /usr/local/lib/java, ISTM)
*or* (new idea)
/usr/local/lib/postgresql.jar (since the name provides sufficient
association. But there are other jars.)

Isn't there a convention, or a recommendation from a file system standard
body? Looking at the Ant RPM:

[...]
/usr/share/java/ant.jar
/usr/share/java/jaxp.jar