Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date: 2001-03-06 17:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen writes:

> I missed something somehwere: wasn't the consensus a few weeks ago that
> pg_ctl shouldn't be used for a system initscript?

The consensus(?) was that there was some work to do in pg_ctl before it
was robust enough to be used (for anything).  That work has been done.
An example Linux init.d script is at contrib/start-scripts/linux.  The
only fault in that script that I can see is that it has no recipe for the
case when the postmaster does not come down after 60 seconds.  But this is
really no problem for the issue at hand because if you do a normal
runlevel switch then the postmaster will simply keep running, and during a
system shutdown all the backends are going to die anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/