Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ /aclocal.m4 /build.xml /configure /conf ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Peter Mount <peter(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ /aclocal.m4 /build.xml /configure /conf ...
Date: 2001-03-05 16:44:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-jdbc

Peter Mount writes:

> What it does is add a new option to configure: --with-java
>
> This option tells configure to look for ant (our build tool of choice) and
> if found, it then compiles both the JDBC driver and the new tools as part
> of the normal make.

Nice!

> Also, when the postgresql install is done, all the .jar files are also
> installed into the ${PGLIB}/java directory (thought best to keep then separate)

Since the Java files are platform independent, the GNU file system
standard would prefer Java files to be installed under $(prefix)/share/.

If we stick with lib/, we should probably be creating a lib/postgresql
subdirectory, like we do in the other subtrees.

Some other thoughts:

Shouldn't the interfaces/jdbc/Makfile be using interfaces/jdbc/build.xml
rather than the one on top? Is the one on top still needed?

In PGAC_PROG_ANT, it might be worth running the found program to see if it
actually works. (On a vanilla Linux installation with Kaffe it probably
won't unless the user manually configured the class path.)

If I find some time I'm going to look if I can implement uninstall and
building outside the source tree for the jdbc subtree.