Re: State of the QNX Port

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Tegge, Bernd" <tegge(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of the QNX Port
Date: 2001-03-03 15:59:21
Lists: pgsql-ports

Tegge, Bernd writes:

> > > + test x//7/part2/CVStrees/pgsql != x/CVStrees/pgsql

I've fixed this part. The test is now based on 'test -ef'.

> Bingo. Yes, it's present in Makefile.global. Yes, LIBS is replaced by the
> definition from Makefile.port (a.k.a. Makefile.qnx4). Now, how is one
> supposed to add platform specific libraries to the LIBS variable ?

I've added a proper configure check.

> BTW, this also means that all the currently specified libraries from
> Makefile.global except libz are redundant, and could be removed.

This was probably the idea behind overriding the LIBS variable. But
obviously there is a problem when adding non-system libraries, such as
libz or maybe readline.

The fact is that most of the libraries that configure finds are not needed
for any given system, but that is a legacy problem for PostgreSQL and a
design flaw in Autoconf that is not worthwhile to work around unless there
is a real problem.

Bonus project: There are way too many things defined in qnx4.h. At least

#include <sys/select.h>
#define HAVE_STRING_H

should be removed. I'm also suspicious about

#include <process.h> /* for execv */

(who uses execv()?) and

#if !defined(__GNUC__)
#include <semaphore.h> /* for sem_t */