Re: regression.out and regression.diff

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regression.out and regression.diff
Date: 2001-02-27 20:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber writes:

> It was a snapshot - no idea what kind of shape it was in and I don't
> recall how I did the check, but it may have been installcheck.

Even snapshots should work all the time. If not, it should be reported,
not posted to a web page.

> Either way my question still needs to be answered. If there are no
> errors, is regression.out and regression.diff deleted? I can see the
> diff file being empty, but deleted?

The diff file always exists; if all tests passed, it's empty. The .out
file always contains a copy of what you see on the screen (i.e., the
ok/FAIL). Which one of these two you want depends on what you are trying
to achieve, but the .out file is probably less necessary, because if there
are failed tests, you will see in the diff file.