Re: Undocumented datetime functions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Undocumented datetime functions
Date: 2001-02-17 16:34:57
Lists: pgsql-docs
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > I'm confused about tz_hour and tz_minute.  Are the regular 'hour' and
> > 'minute' time zone asensitive?
>
> Regular hour and minute arguments return values interpreted in the
> currently valid time zone, except for types which have no affiliated
> time zone (e.g. "time").
>
> tz_hour and tz_minute return the hour and minutes fields of the current
> time zone, or stored time zone for the timetz type.

Hmm, I'm confused.  The timestamp type doesn't actually have a time zone
stored, does it?  Why did you want it to be dumped as "timestamp with time
zone" then?

Also, it's not possible to cast "time with time zone" to "timestamp", so
it's not possible to make real use of extract(timezone_... ).

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/