Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>, Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?
Date: 2001-02-16 16:49:24
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> Aside from persuading more people to spend time answering email
> questions, I agree we need to work harder on making answers findable
> outside the mailing lists.  Improving the docs, making the mail archives
> more easily searchable, etc etc.  I dunno if an "annotated manual" would
> help --- I've never used one --- but if people want to try one, it can't
> hurt.  The main problem is to get the work done.  We need volunteers to
> actually do some of these things, not just suggest them ...

One thing we should try to do in the future (i.e., the next big attack I
have on you) is to maintain a human-edited concept index for the docs,
like every good non-fiction book has at the end.  The technical details
for this are mostly worked out, it just needs someone to compose a list of
all "concepts" and find all the places where they're discussed.

This might even be something to stick in for the 7.1.1 release, because
otherwise there will be another 8 month lag before it becomes useful.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/