Re: Open 7.1 items

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.1 items
Date: 2001-02-09 17:51:23
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Source Code Changes
> -------------------

> Fix ipcclean on Linux

It's fixed. Or what is the problem?

> unixODBC

This would be a new feature. I'm having some private conversation with
the unixODBC maintainer about how to handle this. We'll work on it for
7.2.

> Documentation Changes
> ---------------------
> Fix PL/perl (Alex Kapranoff)

Not sure how to handle this other than backpatching to 7.0 that it doesn't
work. ;-) (i.e.: done)

> Add OUTER JOINs (Tom)

Documented

> Function manager overhaul (Tom)

Looks documented enough to me.

> Grand Unified Configuration scheme/GUC. Many options can now be set in
> data/postgresql.conf, postmaster/postgres flags, or SET commands (Peter E)
> Overhaul initdb process (Tom, Peter E)
> Overhaul of inherited tables; inherited tables now accessed by default;
> new ONLY keyword prevents it (Chris Bitmead, Tom)

done, done, done

(although I don't recall me "overhauling" initdb)

> Allow pg_hba.conf secondary password file to specify only username (Peter E)
> New SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS (Thomas)
> Add WITHOUT TIME ZONE type qualifier (Thomas)

done, done, done

> New VARIANCE and STDDEV() aggregates
> New ESCAPE option to LIKE (Thomas)
> New case-insensitive LIKE - ILIKE (Thomas)

done, done, done

> Allow SQL functions to be used in more contexts (Tom)

That probably doesn't need documentation.

> New pg_config utility (Peter E)
> New PL/pgSQL EXECUTE command which allows dynamic SQL and utility statements
> (Jan)

> New quote_identifiers() and quote_literal() functions (Jan)

done, done, done

> New ALTER TABLE table OWNER TO user command (Mark Hollomon)
> Allow subselects in FROM, i.e. FROM (SELECT ...) [AS] alias (Tom)

done, done

> New pg_service.conf file (Mario Weilguni)

As per previous agreement, this will not be an official feature in 7.1.
Needs further review.

> New pg_dumpall --globals-only option (Peter E)
> New CHECKPOINT command for WAL which creates new WAL log file (Vadim)
> New AT TIME ZONE syntax (Thomas)
> Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
> (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
> New pg_dump --globals-only option (Peter E)

Check all those.

> Allow BIGINT as synonym for INT8 (Peter E)
> New BIT and BIT VARYING types (Adriaan Joubert, Tom, Peter E)
> Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
> New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)
> Write-Ahead Log (WAL) to provide crash recovery with less performance
> overhead (Vadim)

Check

> New function manager call conventions (Tom)

Hmm, I've seen this before...

> New configure --enable-syslog option (Peter E)
> configure script moved to top level, not /src (Peter E)
> New configure --with-python option (Peter E)
> New OpenSSL configuration option (Magnus, Peter E)
> Remove colon and semi-colon operators (Thomas)

All good.

> Rename ichar() to chr() (Karel)

chr() is documented.

> Allow *BSD's libedit instead of readline (Peter)

*BSD should be "NetBSD". Not documented, yet.