Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Poul Laust Christiansen <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)
Date: 2001-01-23 19:51:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Poul Laust Christiansen writes:

> I've just moved from Redhat to Mandrake.
>
> But do I have to use the Mandrake RPM? Doesn't the standard RPM work on
> mandrake?

In general, RPMs only work on systems that are the same as the one they
were built on, for various degrees of "same". If you're not picking up
the RPMs from your distributor or you're sure that the builder used the
same version as you have, it's always prudent to rebuild from the source
RPM. That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
assumptions, such as different file system layouts. But that is often
only an annoyance, not a real problem.