Re: Postgres access using PHP

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: John Poltorak <jp(at)eyup(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres access using PHP
Date: 2001-01-14 22:55:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, John Poltorak wrote:

> I am trying to access a Postgres database using PHP from a Web page
> and it doesn't work.
>
> Could anyone shed any light on the problem?
>
> This is the error I get - which looks like an authentication problem:-
>
> Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:  FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'root' is not in 'pg_shadow'
>
> What have I overlooked in setting up Postgres for Web access?

You should not be using 'root' to connect to the database, in the first
place (which looks odd also -- your webserver should be running as
'nobody', and this should be the default user, not 'root').

You need to create a user (see documentation on CREATE USER) and give them
access to your database (See documentation on GRANT).  I would also
recommend giving this user limited access rights -- perhaps just SELECT,
INSERT and UPDATE.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
There is only one way to console a widow.  But remember the risk.
		-- Robert Heinlein