Re: --enable-odbc issue for Darwin/Mac OS X

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ronald Guest <ronald(at)pepsan(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: --enable-odbc issue for Darwin/Mac OS X
Date: 2000-12-19 18:05:44
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane writes:

> I'd vote for ripping those includes out altogether.  No other part of
> our sources needs <malloc.h>, and I don't believe ODBC does or should
> either.

Gone.

> In a larger sense, the ODBC driver is probably not nearly as portable
> as the rest of Postgres, because it hasn't gotten wrung out on as many
> platforms.  Maybe we ought to start compiling it by default (not for
> 7.1 though ;-)).

The greatest problem is the unportable use of the _init and _fini symbols
to hook into startup and shutdown.  If you're using GCC then you will get
GCC's portable wrapper for that, but it looks gloomy on other compilers.

More generally, the usefulness of the present ODBC driver would seem to
depend somewhat on the driver manager used with it.  The current Unix
build is geared toward iODBC, and we already had to mess with rather low
level shared library linking options to get that to work correctly.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/