SQL keywords

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SQL keywords
Date: 2000-12-15 23:29:16
Lists: pgsql-docs
The section on SQL keywords in the User's Guide needs some updating.

I figured that I could generate these various lists of reserved and
non-reserved keywords automatically --- and indeed I can!

But now I've got 36 lists of keywords (all the set differences between
SQL92 reserved/non-reserved, SQL99 reserved/non-reserved, PG
reserved/non-reserved (which is a simplification)) -- none of which are
empty (some keywords where dropped from reserved to non-reserved between
SQL92 and 99) -- but that's more than anyone wants to know.

But does anyone know what they do want to know?

The list of PostgreSQL reserved words seems to be the only thing I can see
as definitely essential.  But which is more important:  The list of words
that are reserved in PG but *not* reserved in SQLxx (i.e., what problems
can I expect when porting stuff to PG), or the opposite (i.e., what words
should I avoid when writing portable SQL).

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

pgsql-docs by date

Next:From: Ross J. ReedstromDate: 2000-12-15 23:38:01