Operators and Functions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Operators and Functions
Date: 2000-12-10 21:12:10
Lists: pgsql-docs
I was starting to update the chapter on operators in the User's Guide but
when I arrived at the LIKE operator/function it occurred to me that the
division between functions and operators is quite unnatural.

ISTM that someone reading the User's Guide is primarily interested in
solving a problem, like "How do I mangle my text strings?", and doesn't
necessarily care whether the answer is implemented as an operator or a
function.

I'd envision merging the information into one chapter with the following
outline:

Functions and Operators
    Comparison
        (>, <, <>, etc.)
    Arithmetic and Trigonometry
        (+, -, abs, sin, ...)
    Character string manipulation
        (||, trim, repeat, length, etc.)
    Pattern matching
        (LIKE, ~)
    Formatting
        (to_char, ...)
    Date/Time
    Geometry
    Network Address Type Functions and Operators
    Special Conditionals
        (COALESCE, NULLIF, CASE)
    Miscellaneous
        (CURRENT_USER, SESSION_USER)
    Aggregate Functions

Lexical precedence would move into the "SQL Syntax" chapter.

Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

pgsql-docs by date