Re: pgsql (GNUmakefile.in)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql (GNUmakefile.in)
Date: 2000-12-05 22:17:33
Lists: pgsql-committers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Theoretically 'make clean' should clean out what was build by 'make all',
> > but no more.  Not sure about this one...
>
> Counterexample: src/test/regress is cleaned by 'make clean', but not
> built by 'make all'.  I think contrib should behave the same.

That's because 'make check' is an exception since you're supposed to run
that as part of the normal installation procedure.

However, the point is that contrib should be separated from the "real"
source.  Perhaps the makefiles aren't even functioning.  Are we going to
guarantee that?  Maybe we should, but it wasn't the case in the past.
And then what's contrib for?

> Certainly distclean should clean out these directories, even if you
> think that plain 'make clean' should not.

distclean = clean + rm config.status output -- theoretically again :)

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/