Re: location of Unix socket

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: location of Unix socket
Date: 2000-11-30 18:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> > I don't like the code in fe-connect.c one bit, it's way messed up.
>
> Yes. We've accepted several extremely questionable (not to mention
> poorly documented or completely undocumented) "features" in there
> recently. If I'd been paying more attention I would've voted against
> both the URL patch and the SERVICE patch, as I think they're both
> less than fully baked --- and I don't see word one about either in
> the libpq SGML documentation.
>
> Someone should probably review the history and either fix or remove
> the more dubious patches, before we get stuck having to be
> backwards-compatible with bad ideas.

I'm going to disable the URL patch, since it doesn't seem to work and
breaks legitimate uses of database names with funny characters. The
service patch seemed kind of useful, but since it's not documented and I
don't feel like finding out, I think we can let it go the SSL way, i.e.,
sort out for next release.