Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections

From: Alain Toussaint <nailed(at)videotron(dot)ca>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections
Date: 2000-11-26 07:50:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

> Well, this is sort of what AOLserver does for you without any need for
> middlemen.

i agree that AolServer is good karma,i've been reading various docs on
Aolserver since Philip Greenspun talked about it on linuxworld and i'm glad
that there's some java support being coded for it (im my opinion,it's the only
advantage that Apache had over AolServer for me).

> Again, reading stuff like this makes me think "ugh!"
>
> This stuff is really pretty easy, it's amazing to me that the Apache/db
> world talks about such kludges when they're clearly not necessary.

well...i was using Apache as an example due to it DB model but the stuff i
was talking would work quite well in the case of multiple DB server
hosting differents table and you want to maintain location
independance,here's an example:

you have 7 Database server,5 are online and the other 2 are for
maintenance and/or development purpose,for simplicity,we'll name the
server database1.example.net to
database7.example.net,database4.example.net is currently doing a dump and
database6.example.net is loading the dump from database4,then,you
reconfigure the middleman so it redirect all request from database4 to
database6:

vim /etc/middleman.conf

and then a sighup to the middleman so it reread its config file:

killall -HUP middleman

this would update the middleman's shared lib with the new configuration
info (and BTW,i just extended my idea from a single shared lib to a
daemon/shared lib combo).

now i'm off to get the dog out for a walk and then,take a nap,see ya !!

Alain Toussaint