Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections

From: Alain Toussaint <nailed(at)videotron(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections
Date: 2000-11-26 05:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

> "I have all sorts of client apps, connecting in different ways, to
> my server. Some of the clients are leaving their connections open,
> but unused. How can I prevent running out of backends, and boot
> the inactive users off?"

how about having a middle man between apache (or aolserver or any other
clients...) and PosgreSQL ??

that middleman could be configured to have 16 persistant connections,every
clients would deal with the middleman instead of going direct to the
database,this would be an advantage where multiple PostgreSQL server are
used...

240 apache process are running on a box and there's 60 PostgreSQL instance
running on the machine or another machine:

240 apache process --> middleman --> 60 PostgreSQL process

now if there's multiple Database server:

240 apache process --> middleman --> 12 PostgreSQL for each server (5
servers in this case)

in this case,the middleman could be a shared library which the clients
link to..

what do you think about that ??

Alain Toussaint