Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Thomas F(dot)O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Subject: Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian
Date: 2004-09-05 13:01:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> > I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in
> > contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because
> > Debian has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will
> > intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.
>
> Why not just include the Debian start script instead of asking to user
> to fix up the existing one?

I agree. I wrote that start-script a long time ago when there was not a
very good one at all for Linux. Since then, the package maintainers for
the various distributions have filled that void, making my script
obsolete. TTYL.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |