Re: another project for techdocs?

From: Hornyak Laszlo <kocka(at)tigrasoft(dot)hu>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: another project for techdocs?
Date: 2003-08-25 07:15:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, elein wrote:

> There was recently a request for a sample
> database for postgresql on pgsql-general.
>
> The point of having one or more of these
> is to show off features.
>
> Illustra had the video store database.
> Informix had something similar as did
> Sybase and Ingres. Oracle apparently
> has several examples of databases
> to show off a variety of market focussed
> features. And there is the ubiquitous
> department-division-employees variations.
>
> These are usually small applications,
> ideally including a front end which
> require basic rdbms features (shows
> solidity) and a few of the whiz bang
> features (shows off). The techniques
> in the app can be mined by new
> developers, too.
>
> The applications should be re-usable in
> tutorials or classes.
>
> Does anyone have things like this built
> already? I have a couple of very small apps,
> but they are generally tied to reporting.

Errr... I am working on a PostgreSQL schema that emulates a unix
filesystem. It works with inheritance, have triggers and pl/pgSQL
functions. I have a slightly modified java ftpserver (from
jakarta incubator-ftpserver) that serves files from it. It is in very beta
version.
I think it takes 1-2 weeks to get it into publishable form, if you need
it.

Laci