Re: Kernel Error

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Cleiton Luiz Siqueira <cleiton(at)colegiomonjolo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Kernel Error
Date: 2003-02-04 13:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Note, this is a PostgreSQL RDBMS list.

If you did not address your message to the pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org email
address please reply to all recipients of this message giving details on how
and where you sent your message.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Cleiton Luiz Siqueira wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I've had a problem lately. I've received the following message in the
> kernel:
>
> syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> internet /kernel: file: table is full
>
> Can Anybody give me a light?

Check out:

man sysctl

and

sysctl -a | grep file

on your system. You need to increase the number of files the kernel will permit
to be open at the same time. You should probably also check why you need so
many open files. Have you a lot of users? Have you a lot of processes doing
file operations? Have you got a small number of processes holding many files
open?

--
Nigel J. Andrews