Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org,Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)
Date: 2003-01-13 07:34:12
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-interfaces
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org> writes:
> >
> >>I am trying to create a small applications using a PostgreSQL 7.2 database,
> >>updated through ODBC from an OpenOffice form.
> >>I tried my  rules "by hand" in psql : the update works as advertised in the
> >>docs. However, I noticed that updating the *real" table gives a message :
> >>UPDATE 1
> >>after updating the table, while updating the view gives the message
> >>UPDATE 0
> >>after "updating" the view (i. e. updating the underlying table).
> >

> > You can control this in 7.3 by adjusting the rule firing order (which
> > you do by choosing the names you give to the rules); see
> > http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/rules-status.html
>
> Thanks a lot ! I will give it a shot. However, I'm a bit reluctant : my
> test machine is Debian stable but with some unstable packages : it may
> accept the (unstable) Postgres 7.3 package. My production machine, however
> is Debian stable and has to remain so (therefore, no "official" 7.3
> packages) ... Word going around is that the new libc6 (2.3.x) has some
> nasty problems (I've encountered some of them myself : some software
> suddenly broken by unmet dynamic linking dependencies ...).

Compiles fine on a server I did last week, and I even compiled it in the middle
of a huge panic about building other software with interdependencies on the
same box. Tests past, although I must admit to skipping the bigcheck due to
the postgres install becoming the critical path on one of the things I was
doing.

> > I am not sure there is any good workaround in 7.2.
>
> Aaaahhhh ... Now, I'll just have to nag Oliver Elphick into making his
> Debian-stable-Woody PostgreSQL repository apt-get-able ... :-).

I'm thinking now you are only looking for binary packages. Is building from
source unacceptable or impossible?

--
Nigel J. Andrews