Re: Resource management in 7.4

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sander Steffann <sander(at)steffann(dot)nl>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resource management in 7.4
Date: 2002-12-22 06:01:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > ... The reason I've been thinking about it is some people I've been
> > working with at universities have a problem with students effectively
> > DoSing shared installations to affect assessment. This was something
> > they had control over when they used Oracle :-(.
>
> And the students have access to the administrative installation exactly
> why?

Should have made this clearer. Students had a shared system to prepare
assessments. Some students were DoSing Postgres so that other students
could not finish assignments. Yes: the students should run their own
installations, they should not need to have 100% uptime. But it didn't
happen like that. It got me thinking...

Gavin