Re: Elocution

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 04:41:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> >     The bad news is, MySQL is already firmly ensconsed in the parallel
> > niche for web databases, and is starting to spooge outwards from that
> niche.
>
> I'm quite active on a number of database help sites and I think that
> Postgres is gaining recognition, as well as MySQL.  There are more articles
> that mention Postgres and more people moving to Postgres.
>
> We should think of MySQL as expanding our market.

Right. Its always better to be the underdog, as it were. Besides,
Sleepycat DB is *by far* the most successful open source database (in
fact, it is the most widely deployed database).

Once you start comparing PostgreSQL and MySQL you miss the point. We want
to push PostgreSQL for what its good at. We will find far more success
that way.

Gavin